Tuesday, April 8, 2008

My Favorite Apostle(s)

I am not completely sure that you are allowed to have a favorite apostle. It seems somewhat off, like wearing white after labor day or calling the bishop by his first name when he is sitting on the stand. But I have to be honest with you dear reader, I have a favorite apostle or three actually Jefferey R. Holland, David A. Bednar, Henry B. Eyring. I think the reason I like these three so much is because when they speak it is in a style that is understandable to me. I was talking to my dad a couple of years ago and he said that his favorite apostle (see so if its wrong at least I'm in good company) was Elder Monson because of the way that he used analogies and stories in his talks. For my Dad this really brought home the point that Elder Monson was trying to make in a way that made sense to him. (I really hope my dad saw priesthood session on Saturday. Elder Monson wiggling his ears to cap off his story about the young boy is a perfect example of using a story and humor to make a very effective point.)

When I look at the three apostles that I enjoy listening to what strikes me is that all three have an academic background. All of them taught at university, Elder Eyring Associate Professor of Business at Stanford, Elder Bednar Associate Professor of Management at the University of Arkansas, Elder Holland Dean of Religious Education at BYU. Interestingly both Elder Ering and Elder Bednar were presidents of Ricks College (now BYU Idaho) and Elder Holland was the president of BYU (Utah version). As has been noted in the past I love school particularly university thre is something about learning and discussing ideas that is deeply satisfying to me. Therefore it would stand to reason that the three apostles that have spent their lives in front of a classroom would be particularly enjoyable to me.

I actually just finished watching the last session of conference and listening to Elder Holland and Elder Bednar was deeply satisfying. Eler Holland lovingly and effectively answered critics who attack us for our use of the Book of Mormon as scripture and our clear stand that the canon is open. What he said was incredibly bold but at the same time he was clear and wise in the way he stated our position. His use of outside sources, particularly the words of protestant intellectuals and scholars was a masterstroke. It was a passionate and intelligent defense of our position and I thought it was marvelous.

Elder Bednar spoke on how to make prayer more effective through uniting faith, prayer and action. It was one of those talks that I am glad that I have on the internet. I can listen to it over and over again, stopping to think about what he has said and read the scriptures that he sites. It would be impossible to take it all in at once. It was a humbling and moving experience to listen to his counsel. The way that he approached prayer reminded me of many of his other conference addresses. It is a topic that you and I have both heard numerous sermons on but when Elder Bednar approaches the topic I realize that there is a whole level of meaning that I am only scratching the surface of.

Too sum up, very good conference. All of my favorites spoke and they were all powerful and articulate and they all had that particular something that apostles have. That assurance and knowledge that God lives and that Jesus is the Christ and that they are his apostles.

6 comments:

Krista said...

Monson was always my favorite too - for the same reason as Dad. I still remember a talk he gave when I was not yet a teenager regarding drawing closer to the Lord. Powerful stuff.
I appreciate the conference being on the internet - I can actually catch it that way, and like you, listen to the talks I like the most again as I am cleaning the house and whatnot.

Jenie said...

I am sooooo glad that conference is on the internet. It is nice to be able to be spirituaslly uplifted when I have the downtime to listen and learn.

Unknown said...

Those are my favorites too... along with Elder Scott, Elder Nelson, and now Pres. Uchtdorf. All-time fave's have to include Elder Maxwell and of course Elder McConkie.

I could listen to Elder Bednar read the ingredients off a cereal box. I'm going to end up using most of his talk for my lesson on Sunday...

I really enjoyed Elder Ballard's talk about mothers and family.

The full conference archives are now posted on the Church site (transcripts, video, and MP3).

Unknown said...

Elder Holland's BYU devotional "Come Unto Me" should be required reading in the Church...

http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=2912&x=56&y=5

The Kenyon Family said...

those are my 3 too ... eyring and holland have been forever, and bednar since he gave the "tender mercies" talk!

Krista said...

KNOCK KNOCK
Do you know what month it is?
That's right, practically AUGUST.
What, now you're a husband, father, the branch President, a lawyer and on 20 committees you're too BUSY to blog?
Puh-lease ...